CellSageRT™ : Battery Health Analysis and Prognostics Software
CellSageRT is an advanced battery and electrochemical analysis tool from Ridgetop Group,that assesses battery condition based on the specific chemistry, usage conditions, and the environment in which it operates, with benefits that include safety improvements, faster reaction times, greater diagnostic abilities, and methods to achieve a better understanding of incident precursors as well as repair and maintenance techniques for battery-based energy systems.
Batteries are often the weak link in power systems, and tools are needed to characterize these power systems in the field. Under licence from the DOE’s Idaho National Lab (INL), Ridgetop has extended CellSage — the precursor to CellSageRT — to offer customers advanced methods to determine long term performance of battery packs used in stationary power backup systems, or electric vehicles.
- Addresses diagnostic and prognostic evaluations of battery systems, including capacity fade
- Optimizes battery life by investigating thermal management, customized operating conditions and string anomalies
- More than 10 environmental and operational parameters, including battery chemistry, temperature and thermal cycling are taken into account
- Powerful analysis covering conditions in 130 U.S. cities
CellSageRT: CellSage IVHM-related Runtime Licenses
CellSageRT can take into account more than 10 environmental and operational parameters, including battery chemistry, temperature and thermal cycling, as well as cell string topology. CellSageRT calculates more than 20 vital health metrics and aging effects, including state of charge (SOC), capacity loss, cell/battery conductance loss and power fade. Originally developed by researchers at the Idaho National Laboratory (INL) of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), Ridgetop leverages the underlying CellSage technology to provide user with easy-to-understand metrics, indicators and alerts, showing the battery’s capacity at any point in time and computing remaining useful life (RUL) based on the aforementioned factors.
Through a user-friendly graphical user interface (GUI), CellSageRT users are presented a clear picture of how the battery is aging and an accurate projection of how long the battery will last for given conditions.
In addition to its application for monitoring batteries that are already in use, CellSageRT can simulate ‘what if’ scenarios to weigh the impact of operational and environmental parameters on battery performance and health, aiding in the selection for the most appropriate battery for a given mission.
This will support and design changes and related calibration of the chemical behavior with electronically observable changes. These changes, in turn will be sent to the Battery Management System (BMS), which is attached to an overall Integrated Vehicle Health Monitoring (IVHM) system for use in an electric vehicle. The potential is large as, in 2013 alone, the United States saw 96,000 plug-in electrical cars sold — representing slightly more than half a percent of the total market of 16.5 million vehicles, according to a recent Green Car Report.
An IVHM system is intended to provide the driver and maintenance personnel information on the state-of-health (SoH) of the vehicle, and the Remaining Useful Life (RUL) estimates. Ideally, there can be a prognostic “signature” that precedes a failure in the system. This capability, in turn, allows more economical Condition Based Maintenance (CBM) to be supported. For an electric vehicle, this would include on-going monitoring of the battery pack, and mitigating faults during the lifetime of the car, and guiding maintenance intervals based on actual degradation or wear-out mechanisms.
CellSage Battery Modeling and Characterization Tool
Aimed at Academic and Industrial Researchers who are responsible for the development of battery power sources for diverse applications such as Electric Vehicles, Aircraft Auxiliary Power Units (APUs), Medical Electronics, and other crucial applications, the key focal points of CellSage include careful attention to thermal management. These key attributes — as well as the advantages of the CellSage Analysis product — can be seen here.
CellSageRT and Sentinel Suite
By being integrated into Ridgetop’s Sentinel Suite of data collection and transmission, CellSageRT will be able to provide real-time measurements for customer viewing, allowing for different battery types to be applied to various load conditions, while simultaneously varying the environment effects on electric vehicles.
With batteries, the lifetimes are influenced by the number of charge/discharge cycles, and the location the vehicle is used. The CellSageRT monitoring capabilities make it an ideal method of creating higher fidelity observations of the condition of the critical battery pack within the vehicle.
After completion and debugging using the development system, the technology is then licensed to the customers as a runtime executable to the function in the vehicle. The key features and the benefits of CellSage can be seen here.
Extended capabilities that CellSageRT will provide:
- Model Generator framework for new battery types and other electro-chemical processes such as fuel cells and corrosion.
- Parameterized high fidelity models for various types of Lithium-Ion battery types, including Iron Phosphate and a growing number of Nickel-based cathodes.
- Capture of a substantial range of application-specific conditions meaningful to multiple use scenarios (e.g., aging impact of charging protocol and calendar vs. cycle-life conditions)
- Battery Model-based Reasoner (MBR) to be integrated into Sentinel Suite Framework.
- Embedded code design to be integrated as a monitoring module in IVHM applications.
Who Benefits from the CellSageRT Solution
Battery end-users in the vehicle, Grid ES, UAS and Aeronautical field will find incentive of this product through lower costs, reduced warranty cases and battery aging — resulting in reduced cost of replacement — and savings to battery pack costs via CellSageRT-aided design and lifetime analysis.
- Up to 50% reduction in cost and time of battery life testing
- Warranty case reduction from between 10-20%
- Increased performance coming from the CellSage-aided design and lifetime analysis services
- A CellSageRT model builder function for Automotive Engineers to perform ‘what-if’ analysis forms for different battery chemistries, matching applications within the operational envelope of a specific battery type
- Reduced battery aging from between 5-20%